Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Song of the Moment -- Lilly's Pick: "Iris" by The Goo Goo Dolls


Song of the Moment is a new feature on The Authorteers where we each take turns sharing one of the songs inspiring us lately.

Lilly Avalon's latest inspiration...

"Iris" by The Goo Goo Dolls



I've adored this song for the longest time, ever since it first released. It has this completely beautiful feel to it--so honest and full of love. When I hear it, the song takes over my life, so much so that I literally get chills.

This is one of the first songs I wrote down as inspiration for my upcoming novel, Unexpected. I heard it on the radio while I was in the middle of writing the first draft. Usually I'm not big on making playlists for books. I listen to a variety of music, whatever fits my "writing" mood more than the book itself. In Unexpected, Ryan plays guitar in a band, so I knew that finding music to fit the story was imperative. I had no idea what kind of music his band played, though. When this song came on, I stopped what I was doing immediately. My burning question finally had an answer. Several other songs came to mind, and pretty soon I had a playlist! I started listening to it while I was writing and it really added to the feel of the story.

The lyrics play a major role in this as well, especially these lines:

And I'd give up forever to touch you
'Cause I know that you feel me somehow
You're the closest to heaven that I'll ever be
And I don't want to go home right now

It really captures the romance in Unexpected and has definitely been helping me as I revise.


What's your song of the moment? Anything in particular on repeat recently? Something inspiring your latest work-in-progress?

1 comment:

  1. This song has always been one of my favorites by The GooGoo Dolls.

    ReplyDelete