Monday, May 4, 2015

Discussion: Writing Outside Your Comfort Zone


What is something you would like to write that you haven't written already (genre, category, certain form of diversity, etc)?

 

Molli
I'd absolutely LOVE to write an alternate universe book. I loved loved loved Kasie West's PIVOT POINT duet, and the whole parallel universe theory fascinates me, so I'd love to combine that and a really swoon-worthy romance, and see what I can come up with. One of these days, I just might try it! 

As far as diversity, heck yeah! My upcoming book features a single dad and his girl is a POC and ten kinds of awesome. The next Walker Boys companion features a disabled character who doesn't let that get in the way of living a fantastic life. Writing diverse books is a huge and important passion for me. 

Marie
Even though contemporary romance is my favourite thing to read and write (in YA, NA, and Adult), I would love to try my hand at urban fantasy. I’ve had two ideas over the last few years and I keep putting them off, even though they’re always lingering in the back of my mind, generating new scenes and characters. It would be a definite step outside my writing comfort zone, but that's a good thing! 

Something else I’m hoping to tackle in the next year or two is a story with either a main character or a love interest who’s deaf. My older brother is deaf and since my city has one of the few deaf schools in the country, we have a huge deaf community here and I grew up surrounded by deaf people. I’ve never read a YA or NA book with a deaf character, and I figure that’s one way I can honour my brother, who’s one of my favourite people in the world, plus one form of diversity I can write about with complete confidence and lots of help if needed.

Jessica
I'd love to write a YA sci-fi or dystopian. I have an idea I've bounced around for years, but there are so many kinks to work out as far as world building goes that I haven't invested much time into it. Also, I've already promised Molli that I'm going to write a YA Firefly, so... maybe I should start brainstorming for that. My next YA will be featuring a main character who has asthma (partly because I have asthma), and I'd like to touch more on those kinds of things--stuff that regular people face that you may not know about and how they handle it. One big thing I'd like to tackle is characters struggling with mental illness. There are so many people who struggle with it and I want help people understand it better.

(Molli's note: HECK YEAH FIREFLY INSPIRED BOOK)


Lilly
I know this isn't really far from what I've already written, but I want to write contemporary romance. It's kind of in between what I've already written--not as sexy as erotica, characters not as young as new adult. A nice, sweet romance that surrounds women in their late 20s/early 30s. I would love, love, love to write a historical romance someday. Tackling that would take lots (and I mean LOTS) of research, but I think that someday I'll be up to the challenge. I'm currently toying with the idea of an MMF romance, which is definitely different than my usual fare, and I'd also like to write a straight up MM romance as well.


Do you like our ideas for future stories? If you're a writer, what's something you haven't tried writing yet but would like to someday?

Follow on Bloglovin

1 comment:

  1. Well, ladies, come one, get to it. Those ideas all sound awesome. ;)

    ReplyDelete