Friday, April 10, 2015

Words to Live By ~ Writerly Wisdom

Words to Live By will be a regular feature here on The Authorteers where we share some of our favorite quotes. We hope they inspire you, touch you,  make you laugh, and make you think.

“When I'm writing, I know I'm doing the thing I was born to do.” ~ Anne Sexton
“There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you.” ~ Beatrix Potter
"Write hard and clear about what hurts." ~ Ernest Hemingway
"Plotting is Tetris.
Drafting is Play -Doh.
Revision is Jenga." ~ Lucas Hargis

“If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it.” ~ Toni Morrison

"Write about the emotions you fear the most.” ~ Laurie Halse Anderson

“The first draft of anything is shit.” ~ Ernest Hemingway

“You own everything that happened to you. Tell your stories. If people wanted you to write warmly about them, they should have behaved better.” ~ Anne Lamott

“I'm writing a first draft and reminding myself that I'm simply shoveling sand into a box so that later I can build castles.”  ~ Shannon Hale

“Your intuition knows what to write, so get out of the way.” ~ Ray Bradbury

"Most writers write to say something about other people - and it doesn't last. Good writers write to find out about themselves - and it lasts forever." ~ Gloria Steinem

“Writers end up writing about their obsessions. Things that haunt them; things they can't forget; stories they carry in their bodies waiting to be released.” ~ Natalie Goldberg

Which of these is your favorite? Do you have a favorite writing-related quote of your own? Any suggestions for our next Words to Live By theme?

Follow on Bloglovin

1 comment:

  1. I like the Plotting is Tetris one. Even though I'm not much of a plotter.

    ReplyDelete