Wednesday, April 8, 2015

A Day in the Life of Authorteer Marie Landry

Writers are known for being procrastinators, and I’m no exception. There are days when I wonder how I ever manage to get anything done, because it seems like I’ve done everything but write. Writing, especially when it’s your day job, is a lot of long, lonely hours spent isolated from the world. I can usually justify the time I spend doing ‘everything else’ because otherwise it would just be me inside my own head all day every day and that’s not healthy.

Most of my days vary only slightly. Sometimes I have graphics to design (book covers, teasers, blog designs, etc), ebooks to format, or books to beta read. And then there are the days when I leave my little hermit hole and go out into the land of the non-fictional people. But for the most part this is a typical day for me.

  • The first thing I do after all the early morning necessity stuff is check my social media. This includes Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. I usually glance at my email on my cell phone to see if there’s anything pressing, but email is basically the bane of my existence, so I try to ignore it as much as possible! I also check Bloglovin’ for any posts I should check out, which I usually end up bookmarking to read later. After I’ve liked, retweeted, and commented on a bunch of stuff, it’s time to get to work!
 
  • I open whatever I’m working on, which is currently my seventh novel, Something in the Air, a contemporary new adult, and start writing.
 
 
  • When I need a break, I pull up that wonderful time-suck known as Pinterest. For awhile, I stopped allowing myself on the site because I’d go to look up a couple things and I’d end up wondering where the last few hours went. Now, though, I have a legitimate excuse for going to the site - I’m planning a trip! In June, my friend Krista and I will be spending two weeks travelling in Europe, and Pinterest has honestly been an invaluable source for planning. So, I’ll spend some time looking up places to see, things to do, tips for saving money, tips for staying safe, packing tips, etc., and pin them to the London/Paris/Rome trip preparation board I share with Krista.


  • Then while I’m on Pinterest, I inevitably get distracted looking up pictures of whatever celebrity I’m currently obsessed with (right now it’s Tom Hiddleston). I browse, send pics to Krista (she’s the one who ruined my life by introducing me to him), and just generally get lost in his perfection until I inevitably find one of these…

…and I realize I need to get back to work.

  • WRITE ALL THE WORDS
 
  • I take regular breaks throughout the day to either walk (or dance) around, but I try to have at least one proper work-out, usually a long walk and/or aerobics. Gotta get that blood flowing when you’re sitting for so long! Plus I’m trying to get in shape before my trip - we’ll be walking miles each day, and I need to have lots of energy and stamina...and I’m not going to lie, I want to look good in the thousands of pictures I plan to take. ;-) 
 
  • Write, write, write...check social media, get distracted by Pinterest...send pictures of Tom Hiddleston to Krista, squee over our trip, talk about ridiculous random things (like how we hope to meet Tom Hiddleston and/or Benedict Cumberbatch in London) or serious philosophical things (I never know where our conversations will lead, which is one of the beautiful things about our friendship)...send sexy pics of hot guys, inappropriate jokes, and random snarky observations/annoyances to fellow Authorteer Jessica....write some more. 
 
  • I’m the chef in my house, so I have to stop working around 6 or 6:30 to make dinner (depending on how elaborate it is). I normally try to have all my work done by then so I can shut down my computer and relax in the evenings. I used to only write late at night - the later the better - but once I quit my last job to write full-time, I had to get on a schedule where I wrote during the day, and now that’s my routine. If I’m really into a story, I’ll come back to it at night, but I’m usually done for the day by dinnertime. 
 
  • After dinner it’s time to relax! I usually divide my evenings between reading (I’m currently reading Simon Vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda (contemporary YA LGBTQ) and Tides of Honour (Canadian historic fiction/romance). As for TV, I’m rewatching a mix of old and new favourites, including Sherlock, Doctor Who, Downton Abbey, Outlander, Charmed, and Boy Meets World.

So that’s a typical day in my life. Nothing too exciting! What does a typical day look like for you? Are you a master procrastinator like me? If you write, do you do it throughout the day, or at specific times of the day?

 
Follow on Bloglovin

2 comments:

  1. I might write more if I had a picture of Tom Hiddleson looking at me and saying I should be writing. Need to bookmark that. I swear, it will make me work. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "the land of the non-fictional people" - I love it! When I work on my thesis, I tend to use the Pomodoro Technique: work for 25 minutes, take a 5 minute no-screen break (usually a quick walk, stretch or yoga routine), repeat that cycle 3 times and then the 4th break is a longer one, 15-30 minutes. Knowing that I get to take regular little breaks helps keep me focused on the task at hand during the work times.
    Brandy from Brandy's Bustlings

    ReplyDelete