Friday, February 13, 2015

Authorteer Interview #4 -- Jessica Sankiewicz


Hello all! Jessica Sankiewicz here, and I'm one of the Authorteers. Today's the day where you get to know more about me and my books. ^_^ In case you missed it, the rest of The Authorteers--Molli, Marie, and Lilly--were featured already this week. Definitely check those out, too!

~*~

1. Tell us about yourself.

Well, let's see. My name is Jessica. I used to work in pharmacy, but I quit that field to hold on to the last shred of my sanity (however little it may be). No matter what age I actually am, I'll always be 27. I have the tendency to giggle, often uncontrollably (especially when I'm watching Conan). I'm a huge Billy Joel fan and know almost all of his songs by heart (I say almost because I don't listen to him as obsessively as I used to). When I'm not writing or reading or blogging, I'm usually marathoning TV on DVD (most recently has been The Big Bang Theory, Castle, and How I Met Your Mother). I love cats and lemurs. There's probably more to say, but that's a pretty good start.

2. Tell us about your books.

My debut novel, If Only We, was written during NaNoWriMo in 2011. It was a very (VERY) rough draft that took nearly 2 years of working out the kinks before I published. It's essentially YA, but some people consider it NA since it takes place just after high school and the main characters are 18. I would probably describe it as a YA version of Groundhog Day (the movie) except the MC doesn't repeat the same day, but the summer after graduation. My second published book is Not Until Tonight, a new adult novella and the first in a series called This Night.

3. What made you decide to become a writer?

I've had a knack for words for awhile, but it wasn't until NaNoWriMo that I actually put forth the effort to really write. Before then, I'd just come up with ideas for stories and scenes. I have notebook after notebook filled to the brim of them all. Once I buckled down and finished my first book, I realized that I can do anything I put my mind to. Even though it's been awhile since I published, I still write almost every day. My phone is often packed with dialogue and scene inspiration.

4. How do you come up with your ideas? Where do you get your inspiration?

Oh my goodness...it varies. I have come up with some stories/scenes after having a vivid dream (ala Stephenie Meyer with the Twilight meadow scene). Others are just a result of my overactive imagination. I'll come up with a line, a scene, or a character and then my mind begins to wander and I develop an entire story. At least, the basic plot--beginning, a little bit of the middle, and the end.

5. What are you working on right now?

I'm working on the 2nd book in the This Night series, All This Time. It follows characters met in Not Until Tonight. I had no intention of writing this one when I started the series. It wasn't until Angela and Tyler came about with their background that I realized I needed to tell the rest of their story. I can't say when this one will be completed (as I'm still working on structuring the plot), but I can say it will be published by the end of 2015 for sure. I also have a YA novel called Before We Knew that I would love love love to get back to sometime this year, if not early next year.

6. What are some of your favorite genres, books, and authors?

I love contemporary romance and new adult mostly, although you might catch me picking up young adult still (however, that's rare unless I'm finishing a series). Some favorites include Sophie Jordan's Ivy Chronicles trilogy, Wanted: Wife by Gwen Jones, Cambria Hebert's Take It Off series, and Jaci Burton's Play by Play series. That's just a sampling, though. If you want to see all my faves, check out my Favorites shelf in Goodreads.

7. What book are you reading right now?

Haha, too many! I generally have 8-12 books going at once. That's mostly because I'll have several review books to read and I mark them all as "currently reading" then pick up whichever one tickles my fancy. Right now, I'm getting caught up on Ember Casey's Cunningham novels--Lost and Found and Their Wicked Wedding, plus catching up on Krista & Becca Ritchie's Addicted/Calloway Sisters series with Kiss the Sky.


My books:


If Only We (YA novel)

Not Until Tonight (NA novella)




No comments:

Post a Comment